Sewing a Half Mitered Corner
A basic sewing skill that we use to finish our pareu and pareu hapalua.
1. Hem is a 1/8" to 1/4" roll hem
2. Fold corner on approach (see photo) using a pin to keep in place
3. Carefully approach corner and plant sewing needle once you carefully sew beyond your pin. Lift your presser foot, pivot your corner, move your pin to the back of your sewing needle, and continue sewing. Pin placement helps feed dogs to pick up again.
4. ta-da! Press your hem/corner
A photo tutorial.
1. fabric strip 4" x 24"
2. sew right sides together, 1/4" seam allowance, ~2" opening on each end
3. turn right side out - can use loop turner or kaula/safety pin
4. secure to opposite end to turn
5. insert 6" double fold elastic
7. sew elastic closed - overlap 1/4"
8. sew 4" ends together, 1/4" seam allowance
9. finish long seam, fold opening under 1/4", edge stitch
ta-da! tag us on your creations
SHOP SCRUNCHIES HERE
‘Āina Love : Our Fabrics : Modal
We come from this place and our love for this ‘āina is deeply rooted in who we are. It grounds the decisions that we make because we know that our actions today will impact generations to come.
This is why Kūlua follows industry best practices for sustainability and environmental friendliness. What we put on our bodies - how it’s created and where it comes from - is as important as how that garment impacts our island home after.
If you know our clothing, you know the buttery soft, so so...
Print Story : w o v e n
We’ve turned to our woven heritage, drawing inspiration from our love of traditional lau hala weaving. While the pāwehe print celebrates woven creations, the woven ulu hala print celebrates woven origins.
Roots woven below, leaves woven above. The pū hala roots weave together and the ulu hala grows, thickening, slowly moving. The leather-like lau hala kū and moe in creation, interlocking with infinite possibility.
Ulu hala nestled at the base of our mauna in the nahele. Ulu hala nestled by the sea in the one.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.